I think I jinxed Andy and the flowers - his wife said he was sick today. Feel better soon Andy, I miss my flower. Actually, his wife gave me one. It wasn't quite the same. I don't know her name yet, and it's too late to ask. Awkward.
I just found out that I have to go to a conference next week - just one day, but it kinda throws off my schedule. I have a softball game that it's gonna be hard to make, and I'm not the kinda girl that likes to rush.
So, today we had a staff meeting and we always discuss communication problems. And you know what our biggest one is? That we don't communicate the same things. We don't even want the same things. As a TwentySomething, I've only been in the workforce a year (two if you count my professional work during college) and I'm already bored and getting more bitter by the day. Things like email and editing documents come naturally to me, as they do most TwentySomethings. So while our managers were doing such work when they were our age, it's no longer as time consuming, and thus, we spend more time on perezhilton.com and are called lazy. Not that my boss has ever called me lazy; but in fact, has made comments that I work too fast and that she can't keep up with my work pace. A double-edged sword if you will. Work too slow, you're not a hard worker; work too fast, you're messing up the entire work pace; work too fast and take a break for perez before giving it to your boss, you're lazy. What's a TwentySomething to do? This article: http://www.fdu.edu/newspubs/magazine/05ws/generations.htm helps explain that different doesn't mean deficient -thank you Mr. Wright (and that's a WHOLE other topic).
All I'm saying is this: the oldest people went thru WWII and just want a secure job and bread an butter; the baby boomers are the prior hippies who got it all out of their system and now think work is life; the gen x'ers who raised themselves while they baby boomer parents were at work; and us (or me) who has a mixture of the boomer and the gen x'ers. Am I arrogant because I think I can create a mail merge faster than my boss? What if I can? What if she's had to ask me how to do it? Several times?
Our views are different, we know different things. And everyone has to accept that. I'm not trying to be arrogant, I just know how to mail merge. And when I ask what CMS means, and she does, I don't think she's being arrogant for knowing. So neither should she. (FYI, she doesn't - she's very nice, and even a tad sarcastic, which I like.) (Double FYI - CMS stands for Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.)
Go ahead. Discuss. You know you want to.
I have softball practice. So, I'm peacing out.
aj
P.S. I work in a health lawyer association, you think I wouldn't know what CMS stands for? Come on now!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment